Tuesday, July 6, 2010

In His good hands...

If you have ever been around our family for any length of time you have probably heard the saying "We are in His hands and they are good hands."  My grandfather started saying it to us years ago and it has become a family motto of sorts.  We say it to each other when the future is uncertain, when life is hard or when we simply need the reminder.  I don't know about you but it really helps me to be reminded of this truth.  By His grace I have willingly and joyfully placed myself in His hands but sometimes it is good to be reminded that regardless of what the world may tell us, regardless of our situation, regardless of how we may feel - we are held by the hands of a loving and good God.

As I step out into the unknown on July 27th, I am excited, nervous and a little overwhelmed.  I am amazed and humbled at Jesus' provision through the sacrificial giving of so many of you.  I am also humbled by the prayers being lifted on my behalf.  I can honestly say that I have truly felt carried these days as I prepare to go.  I cannot thank you enough for that.  What peace, comfort and courage it gives me as I step out into this new adventure with Jesus. 

I feel a real peace that I am right where Jesus wants me and I am so thankful for that but I am also realizing all of the "new-ness" that I am about to face.  A new job, new culture, new language, new apartment, new friends and colleagues.  Change is something that I have experienced quite a bit of in my life yet I have never done it very well.

As I begin the three week countdown until my departure, my grandfather's phrase has been playing over and over in my head.  I am so grateful that Jesus has gone before and is going with me now.  And that He is holding me as I walk through these days of packing, goodbyes, transition and change.  All He asks of me is to trust Him and to keep stepping out in faith believing in Him.  Oswald Chambers has a quote that I love, "I have to learn that the aim in life is God's, not mine...All He asks of me is that I trust Him, and never say - Lord, this gives me such heartache. To talk in that way makes me a clog.  When I stop telling God what I want, He can catch me up for what He wants without let or hindrance.  He can crumple me up or exalt me.  He can do anything He chooses.  He simply asks me to have implicit faith in Himself and in His goodness." (My Utmost for His Highest, November 10)  This is my prayer as I start this new adventure.

4 comments:

  1. Anna, We are really excited for you! I look forward to reading about your new adventure in the Lord. He is faithful, and as you said, has gone before you; He knows exactly what you will encounter, and has already filtered it all. He wants to delight his children, and I anticipate that He has planned many for you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, you have written out your thoughts so beautifully. I can't wait to read more as you move forward! So proud of you, and even prouder to be your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We are in His hands and they are good hands." I love this and am going to start this tradition in my own family. Looking forward to learning more about your adventure as it unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, what an exciting time for you. We will add you to our prayers. I don't know you and you don't know me but since you are the granddaughter of a special HERO of mine, that is good enough for me. We are sister's in Christ! God has used your grandpa to help me along in my spiritual walk for many years. I shall never forget the meal we had together many years ago during a camp meeting in Indiana. I had such a wonderful visit and prayer time with your grandma Elsie (also my grandma's name) many years ago. I will never forget it as long as I have my mind. Her smile and tender way was such a comfort to me. She had the glow of Jesus! Your grandpa and grandma have been my "role models" for many years. It puts a smile on my face to think of them and he is my favorite preacher/teacher.
    I wish I could be a mouse in your pocket for my dream has been to visit Germany. Due to physical issues, it will never happen outside a miracle of Jesus. I have had a love and burden for the people of Germany and have prayed for a dear e-pal and her family for years. I expect to see them in heaven one day.
    I enjoy studying the German language and the best way I have found to learn is the German/English Bible. I also listen to the scriptures on CD in German.
    I pray you will find the language dear to your heart and enjoy it. I sure do.
    May our Lord richly bless you! He already has and He will continue to do so.
    I saw your link in the Titus e-news so I just had to take a minute and type a note to you.
    Psalm 33:20-21
    Unsre Seele harrt auf den HERRN; er ist was Hilfe und Schild. Denn unser Herz freut sich seiner, und wir trauen auf seinen heiligen Namen.
    Our soul waits for tthe LORD; He is our help and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in Him, because we have trusted in His holy name.
    Blessings! ~rope holders, OH

    ReplyDelete