Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Update on my Mom

When I wrote my last blog about the unexpected I had no idea how unexpected the path would actually be!And yet He is Immanuel, God with us!


Here is an update from my Dad. I am sure there are better places or ways to update everyone but I am too tired to think of it now so for tonight this will suffice.

I am truly a blessed and proud daughter! My Mom is thinking of others even in the midst of her own trauma (although why should I be surprised??) and my Dad is leaning on and trusting in Jesus. This is the hardest thing any of us have ever done but He is holding us on this unexpected journey!

_____________________

Friends and family,

First, we feel overwhelmed with an ocean of grace by the many emails, texts, voice mails, visits, cards, etc.  It is impossible to keep up with the correspondence but please know that we read every one and each one is a beautiful means of grace to our fragile souls. I find myself in tears with almost each one I read. I've never had words touch me quite like this. Thank you, thank you.

William Cowper wrote the hymn "God Moves in a Mysterious Way". How I love these words: 

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

The past 72 hours have been like none I've ever lived.  Providence did indeed seem to be frowning.  For about 48 hours, it felt like we were falling off a cliff, hitting on rocky ledge after another in our descent. Where would it end?  But even as the wheels were falling off and life was spinning out of control, we caught glimpses, and at times, a glorious vision of the "smiling face" behind the turbulence.

On Monday morning, Katy and I faced one of the greatest challenges of our life as she underwent surgery to remove a spiculated nodule from her left lung.  All signs had seemed to indicate cancer so when the doctor said it was benign, we erupted in praise and sent a letter to all of you saying that the battle was over and thanks for the prayers.  Little did we know that the battle had only begun!  

On Monday afternoon about 4:00, Katy had a "large stroke".  A blood clot lodged in her right brain leaving her left side paralyzed.  Our surgeon said that in all his life he had never experienced anything like this and is struggling to account for the clot.  Over the next 24 hours a series of CT scans showed that the brain was swelling.  Not good.  We noticed that Katy was more and more non-responsive and by late Tuesday  afternoon a neurosurgeon had been called in.  He explained that if he did not do immediate surgery to relieve the pressure, Katy would probably die.  

In shock, we signed the papers and again (!) watched as Katy was wheeled away behind closed doors for two hours of more surgery.  A craniotomy was performed, removing bone from the right side of her skull so the brain could thus expand as it adjusted to the damage caused from the stroke.  Last night (Tuesday) about 8:00, the neurosurgeon announced that the surgery had gone smoothly and Katy's vital signs looked good.  But he stressed that there would still be about 48-72 hours of recovery in neuro-ICU which would be critical.  

We are in that period of waiting now.  Katy is responsive and her mental capacities and personality seem to be present.  She cannot talk well and can barely keep her eyes open.  This morning she indicated she wanted a pen and paper and with eyes unable to open, wrote out in perfect script (!) instructions about who we were to call to inform about her condition!  We laughed as we realized that beneath all the bandages and tubes and medication and trauma of two surgeries, Katy was still thinking of others and THEIR well being!  As you know, I am married to a saint.

It is far too early to predict the future but if recovery over these next few days goes well, I think we will be looking at a lengthy rehabilitation.  The medical staff has been very helpful and have worked to keep our expectations realistic.  Of course, we are asking God for full recovery but know that it will likely be a long and challenging journey.

Again, I cannot begin to say how much the notes and prayers and verses and visits have meant.  We are incredibly blessed by a family of people who have enriched our lives and blessed us in ways that make us feel like we are swimming in an ocean of grace.  The "frowning providence" is still a reality and we recognize that this journey may still have difficult challenges and pain and loss.  But today.... I'm thanking God for his smiling face, that we see so clearly through you!  The worlds of FAS, LCC, PAACS, OMS, WGM, Asbury, and Mt. Zion, continue to buoy us along in a great current of grace!  

A friend from LCC (thanks M.H.!) gave Katy and me a Bible verse that has helped to hold us steady during the past few days:  "For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand (that is Katy's workable hand!); it is I who say to you 'Fear not, I am the one who helps you.'" (Isa, 41:13).  

All three daughters are with us: Anna from Germany, Sarah and Adam from Michigan, and Elisabeth and Ben from Chicago.  Needless to say, their presence is better than any pharmaceutical concoction the doctors can order.

How we love you!  

Trusting His face!
 
Stan Key

9 comments:

  1. God bless you all and as I've said in other posts I am praying for a Christmas Miracle. Love you all and am trusting God has got this one. I'm sure this has been a birthday you will long remember Elisabeth! But what a gift to have your precious mom awake and writing her needs and requests in perfect script! Love and hugs to all of you and a Blessed Christmas and many blessings in the new year.❤️❤️🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so obvious to us that God is in control and that prayers are being answered for Katy's life and your peace. Thanking God with you for His grace and mercy.
    Linda and Duane Rennells

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you guys!! Praying!

    Joie DeFayette and boys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, Karen just told me. Though the diagnosis for Linda was different (different letters of the alphabet), the beginning was very similar (paralysis etc.), and I pray the Lord will comfort you all as you see Him shine through your Mom. Don Ansley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Katy, I pray over you today Psalm 139. You have been a rock for me more times and years than I can count. You have stood with me, prayed over and for me in difficult, painful situations. So it is my privilege to come before the throne of the King to pray for you. This psalm brings comfort to me and as the last verse says, All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. HE KNOWS. And He knows you deeply...loves you, Stan, the girls and their families deeply. Ps 138 verses 7-8 are precious too. I pray miracles from His powerful hand, I pray peace that passes human understanding. I pray He wipes the tears away in rejoicing. May His Spirit hover over you all today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, keeping your dear Mom covered in prayer! In fact praying for all of you and the medical team God has called to be with you at this time. The letter from your Dad touched me deeply and bears testimony to your Mom's amazing faith and God's awesome faithfulness. May you sense His presence with you. Continuing to cover you all in prayers.
    Jim Bolton

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't know us, but Karen Ramse is our daughter. I read about the trauma you have been going though. It is very evident that the Lord has been with you through it all and will continue to be there. Paul and I will be praying for you.
    Love in Jesus,
    Shirley Ramse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessings and prayers, dear Anna. So thankful you are able to be with your family right now.

    ReplyDelete