Thursday, March 31, 2011

My birthday and a field trip


Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle
A couple of weeks ago I celebrated another birthday.  It just so happened that it overlapped with the day planned for language field trips.  So on my birthday I was responsible for taking 15 kids to a castle in France and to a town nearby that I had never visited.  As a new teacher thing I feel very out of my league when it comes to field trips especially in an area that I do not know well or better yet have never been to before.  I have to admit when I first saw that the field trip was planned for my birthday I was a little sad.  The weight and the responsibility of all the details and the unknowns did not sound like a fun day to me.   

However, my kids saw things very differently. :) Four of them approached me at different times to ask me if I had planned the field trip for that day on purpose. In their minds they could not think of a better way for me to spend my birthday than with all of them.  :) And after our day together I could not have agreed more.  Jesus really worked for me and for us that day.  I had two wonderful drivers/chaperones that helped figure things out with me and count heads and my kids were a lot of fun and behaved in a way that made their teacher very proud.  The castle we visited was at the top of the mountain and the kids did not complain once even though the temperatures were well below freezing at that altitude and within those stone walls.  Fortunately, we were able to visit a beautiful little town at the bottom of the hill which was much warmer. They all enjoyed this visit and believe it or not the find of the town was ice cream with cookie pieces in it.  They were thrilled. 


I came home and was able to have dinner with my pastor and his family and the Ingrams (LCC missionaries and long time family friends).  What a blessing and then my roommates planned a wonderful evening with some new friends.  Needless to say I felt very loved. 

French 1 Class
What a blessing to celebrate another year with so many wonderful people.  I felt like the Psalmist who said – “But I will hope continually and will praise you yet more and more.  My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge.” (Psalm 71:14-15) Jesus has been so good to me in the last year and I want to be faithful and continue to love, obey and praise Him in the year to come.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday with your kids and then friends afterward! God is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... belated "feliz cumpleanos!" (missing tilda, I know).
    --------------
    Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds.
    Thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O LORD, thou preservest man and beast.
    How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.
    They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.
    For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.
    O continue thy lovingkindness unto them that know thee; and thy righteousness to the upright in heart. (Ps 36)

    ReplyDelete