Saturday, September 4, 2010

Behold, I have put before you an open door…

On the first day of school I shared with my students from Revelation 3:8. The day I left New York I checked my e-mail and I had received an e-mail update from a dear friend and at the end of the e-mail she quoted this verse – Revelation 3:8. It was like it leapt off the screen at me. It was exactly what I needed that morning. Don't you love it when Jesus does that? "Behold, I have set before you an open door which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name." This verse really encouraged me that day as I said goodbye to my family and boarded the plane headed into the unknown. This was not a door that I had opened – it was one that HE had opened. And while I had many moments of little strength and even little faith that God could make a way to get me to BFA – He did. And the beautiful thing is that this is not just true in the past tense. One of the things that I find myself in constant amazement over is the fact that Jesus is not a God who steps in once in a while to help us along the way. He is a God who, if we let Him, can be an ever present presence in our times of need. And the older I get the greater my need seems to be for Him. He doesn't leave us in our need, instead He meets us with more and more of Himself.

In and of myself I am not up to the challenge of living in a new culture and trying to navigate life in a country where I cannot speak the language. I am not trained and equipped to teach French YET though I have but little strength it is the door that Jesus has opened and by His power He is making a way for me. I have made it through my first full week of school and while it has involved some incredibly long days/nights – He has helped! I am enjoying getting to know my students more and learning the dynamics of the class room. I am enjoying immersing myself back into French for the first time in years. I am enjoying the amazing people that I am privileged to serve with here at BFA.

While the transition in many ways has been very challenging and overwhelming, the work load huge and the learning curve very steep, I am amazed by the peace that I have through Him who gives me strength. He is making a way for me and I praise Him for His faithfulness.

I shared with the students that this new school year is an open door for us all. And we need His strength to walk through the open doors He has put before us. I love it that Jesus acknowledges that it is not easy to walk through those open doors. It is hard and we can't do it without His help! But my prayer is that I will walk in whole-hearted obedience to Him and that I will "keep His word and not deny His name". That is my prayer for this new school year.

Thank you for your prayers for me. I have truly felt sustained and carried and am so thankful!!!


 

2 comments: